Monday, May 9, 2016

Mondays are Hard!

I confess, I could barely roll myself out of bed this morning to make coffee.  There was no way I could blog given that I could barely form a sentence.  We got in very late last night after a trip to the Adirondacks and it just took me forever to settle down and get to sleep.  As a result, I've spent the day operating in a bit of a daze.

This week my schedule is bit strange as I'm covering for a coworker.  As a result, I'm going into work late tomorrow, leaving early Wednesday and working Saturday.  I'm going to have to be super organized to get  everything done that I need to get done.

I'm really happy with the amount of t-shirt yarn I currently have in my shop so I think it is time to switch gears and start working on other things.  Project bags are next on my agenda along with some zipper pouches.  The plan is to use denim and upholstery fabric to create these.  I've got two very specific designs in mind.  Now if only I can avoid distractions!

Ultimately, I need a better answer when people ask "what can you make with your t-shirt yarn?"  Here's the interesting thing, I don't make much with the relatively thin, bulky weight t-shirt yarn that I sell.  This thickness of t-shirt yarn evolved out of two other makers' requests.  When I make rugs   I use yarn that is about 3 times thicker.  Rather than re-invent the wheel, I'm going to head over to Ravelry and do a little research.  I'd like to come up with some answers that are better than, "Let me show you what my friend Kristina made..."  (Not that I don't love showing off the beautiful things she makes.  In fact, you should stop reading this post and go visit her website.  She's amazing, right?)

So my plan ultimately centers around creating a list of patterns that work well with my t-shirt yarn.  I do have some test knitting that I had done on slippers that I was really pleased with.  Maybe it's almost time to create a Saved by Kate Ravelry group so we can share ideas or host knit alongs or look for test knitters?

Actually that brings me to an interesting thing I've noticed.  Blogs and Ravelry seem to be interactive in a more meaningful way than Instagram or Facebook.  I can't tell you how many times I've posed a question on both Instagram and Facebook and only been met with likes rather than responses.  I suspect people often don't get beyond the image to the words.  I must ponder this as I decide if I need another thing to keep track of.  Thoughts?

I leave you with this lovely picture of my latest entry into my shop, Desert Sun, a colorway hand dyed by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment